This sweet potato kale soup features black beans and is flavored with cumin and lime; it’s a hearty gluten-free and vegan soup recipe.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: soups on repeat in the winter months. When we talk to people about getting started with cooking healthier foods at home, soup is generally where we start. Why? Soups are a tasty, easy way to eat a ton of vegetables without realizing it, and they’re simple to put together. Keep reading for this hearty sweet potato kale soup.
This sweet potato kale soup combines ingredients we use quite a bit in our cooking in a new way. It’s a vaguely Mexican stew, with black beans thrown in and flavored with oregano, cumin, and just enough lime juice so that it pops. Sliced green onions stirred in at the end of cooking keep it tasting fresh, and with sliced radish and a dollop of Greek yogurt as a garnish, it’s a delicious way to load up on nutrients. (Want more ideas? Here are some of our favorite soup recipes.)
We developed this sweet potato kale soup recipe using ingredients available through our partner, ALDI, who is committed to carrying better-for-you ingredients and expanding their organic product offerings. ALDI’s new Hello, Healthy blog has healthy living resources including recipes, tips, meal plans, videos, and eating guides. ALDI is working to source healthy ingredients that are easy to find and easy on your budget. We’re happy to be a part of this effort and hope you’ll head over and check out their new online resource!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 1 15-ounce can SimplyNature Organic Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (3 cups cubed)
- 1 quart (4 cups) SimplyNature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 4 cups chopped SimplyNature Organic Kale (about 3 ounces)
- 3 green onions
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 tablespoons Friendly Farms plain Greek yogurt, as a garnish (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Dice the sweet potato. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté 4 minutes, until translucent. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne (optional), and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the sweet potatoes, then add the vegetable broth, beans, and kosher sea salt and bring to a simmer.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. While simmering, roughly chop the kale. Thinly slice the green onions and radishes.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from the heat and stir in the kale, green onions, and lime juice. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Taste, and if desired add additional kosher sea salt to taste. Serve garnished with radishes, a small dollop of Greek yogurt (optional), and hot sauce.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/hearty-sweet-potato-and-kale-soup/